Whip up a batch of this traditional 7-layer salad with homemade mayo dressing that can be made ahead of time and will last several days in the refrigerator.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, we will make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See our Disclosure Policy for more information. Thank you for your support.
Traditional 7-Layer Salad
I’m sure you’ve been to a potluck, picnic or BBQ where a 7-Layer Salad was served. It’s a pretty common recipe that goes back several decades in the American culture. It’s said to have originated in the south, but of course no one really knows.
A recipe that’s spanned decades has to be good, right?
With such a long-standing history, there are hundreds of variations, but traditionally it is said to have contained Iceburg lettuce, peas, hard-boiled eggs, cheese and bacon topped with a mayo dressing.
My 7-Layer Salad Includes:
- hard-boiled eggs
- shredded cheddar
- red onion
Of course, this is a completely customizable recipe that you can adapt to better fit your tastes. Below are a few more ideas for making this salad your own.
Additional topping ideas:
- diced cucumber
- shredded carrots
- bell peppers
How to Make A Seven Layer Salad:
In a trifle bowl, layer the salad in the order of the ingredients listed starting with the chopped lettuce.
In a separate mixing bowl, stir together the salad dressing ingredients until smooth.
Spread the salad dressing over the top of the salad in an even layer.
Cover the salad and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight if needed.
Prior to serving, garnish with additional cheese, bacon, peas, or freshly chopped parsley on the top, if desired.
NOTE: Do not mix the salad together or the lettuce will get soggy.
Want more healthy recipes? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Quick and Easy V8 Chili
- 4-Ingredient Warm Kale and Bacon
- Grilled Zucchini Foil Packets
Follow Graceful Little Honey Bee on:
Pinterest | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube
Traditional 7-Layer Salad
- 1 head iceberg lettuce washed and torn into pieces
- 4 hard-boiled eggs chopped
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 12 ounce package frozen peas, thawed
- 6 to 8 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- parsley for garnish optional
For the Salad Dressing:
- 1 ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a trifle bowl, layer the salad in the order of the ingredients listed starting with the chopped lettuce.
- In a separate mixing bowl, stir together the salad dressing ingredients until smooth.
- Spread the salad dressing over the top of the salad in an even layer.
- Cover the salad and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight if needed.
- Prior to serving, garnish with additional cheese, bacon, peas, or freshly chopped parsley on the top, if desired.
Leave a Reply