You will need:
3 yards of cotton fabric
elastic to fit your waist
crochet lace trim
You will cut three strips of fabric.
The measurements I used are as follows:
Tier #1: 14″X48″
Tier #2: 14″X72″
Tier #3: 15″X104″
This makes a pretty long skirt (I think it’s 39″ finished) so you may want to use different measurements for a more custom fit.
The basic construction of the skirt is as follows:
1. Fold each tier in half width wise and sew right sides together.
2. Baste stitch on the top of tier #2 and gather to fit the bottom of tier #1. Pin right sides together and sew matching side seams.
3. Baste stitch on the top of tier #3 and gather to fit the bottom of tier #2. Pin right sides together and sew matching side seams.
4. Fold the top of tier #1 down 1/4″ and then fold again enough to fit your elastic. Pin and sew leaving a 1″ opening.
5. Measure and cut your elastic according to how tight you want it around your waist. Using a safety pin feed your elastic through your casing.
6. Sew ends of elastic together and then sew the casing shut.
7. Hem the bottom of tier #3 as desired.
8. If using trim, pin around skirt where you want it and sew. Do not cut trim until you have sewn it and you know how much you will need or you might end up too short.
Let me know if you have any questions!
If you enjoyed this you may also enjoy: