My dad requested an old-fashioned macaroni and cheese casserole for Thanksgiving this year and I was commissioned for the task. I’ve had this recipe pinned for a while and decided it was about time to try it out. I made a few changes and it turned out amazingly good.
Macaroni and cheese is a definite comfort food full of cheesy, creamy goodness and this casserole delivers on all fronts. I promise if you try this you will love it. It calls for a can of cream soup which you could easily substitute out with heavy cream, sour cream, mayo or this cream sauce recipe which I’ve been meaning to try. Also it’s freezer friendly (I haven’t tested it yet, but I will). So let’s get cooking!
How to Make Homestyle Macaroni & Cheese Casserole:
Preheat oven to 350.
Cook noodles and drain.
Sauté onion over medium heat.
Mix 3 cups cheese, bacon bits, soup, mayo, onion and pepper in bowl.
Stir in noodles and pour into 9×13 greased baking dish.
Top with 1 cup cheese and crushed crackers.
Bake for 45 minutes.
Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
- 1 box whole wheat macaroni noodles
- 2.5 oz package bacon bits
- 4 cups shredded cheddar
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/2 cup Miracle Whip or mayo
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 sleeve crackers crushed
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook noodles and drain.
- Sauté onion over medium heat.
- Mix 3 cups cheese, bacon bits, soup, mayo, onion and pepper in bowl.
- Stir in noodles and pour into 9x13 greased baking dish.
- Top with 1 cup cheese and crushed crackers.
- Bake for 45 minutes.