Follow me on Instagram for more tips, tricks and recipes!
This post contains affiliate links. See our Disclosure Policy for more information.
Making homemade vanilla extract is soooo easy. Basically, all you do is pop your beans in alcohol and walk away. I actually made up this batch of extract last November and I’m just now straining and bottling it for storage.
The beauty of making extract is that you truly can’t mess it up. Plus, it makes for a great gift and if you mix up a batch soon it will be ready just in time for Christmas! And of course since you’re making your extract at home with high quality ingredients you will end up with a superior product than store bought. Read on to learn how easy it is to make your own Homemade Vanilla Extract my friends!
Homemade Vanilla Extract
4-5 vanilla beans per cup of vodka
Vodka (at least 35% alcohol)
I used a 1.75 liter bottle of vodka and 44 vanilla beans = 22 vanilla beans per quart mason jar. I ordered these vanilla beans from Amazon.
Step 3: Let steep in a cool, dark place for 6 weeks or up to one year. The longer you let it sit, the stronger your vanilla flavor.
Step 4: When your extract is done steeping, strain liquid into desired jars and use in baking just like you would store-bought vanilla.
That it my friends! I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and will consider making your own vanilla extract at home. It really is easy!
- 4-5 vanilla beans per cup of vodka
- Vodka (at least 35% alcohol)
- Split beans in half lengthwise and cut in half to fit into jars.
- Cover beans with vodka and seal jar with lid.
- Let steep in a cool, dark place for 6 weeks or up to one year. The longer you let it sit, the stronger your vanilla flavor.
- When vanilla is done steeping, strain into desired jars.
- Use the same as you would store-bought vanilla.
I used a 1.75 liter bottle of vodka and 44 vanilla beans = 22 vanilla beans per quart mason jar.