You’re going to love this simple and delicious Chocolate Dump Cake Recipe that uses boxed chocolate cake mix, chocolate pudding mix, chocolate chips and M&Ms all together in one pan and baked in the oven to gooey, chocolatey perfection.
This post contains affiliate links, if you make a purchase through one of these links, we will make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See our Disclosure Policy for more information. Thank you for your support.
Chocolate Dump Cake Recipe
This Chocolate Dump Cake Recipe is full of ooey-gooey chocolate flavor because it uses a chocolate cake mix, pudding mix, semi-sweet chocolate chips AND M&Ms. If that doesn’t spell delicious, then I don’t know what does. It’s quick and easy to put together and makes a great dessert for serving to a crowd or a hungry pack of children.
What is a Dump Cake?
Dump cakes originally consisted of a cake mix and a fruit filling dumped together in a pan and baked in the oven. Dump cakes have evolved over time, however and are now made with all kinds of different flavors and fillings including chocolate candy, pudding mix and nuts.
They are called dump cakes because the ingredients are dumped into a pan and baked in the oven without stirring. Another name that you might come across for this type of recipe would an upside-down cake because the fruit or other toppings might rise to the top as it bakes.
The original recipe for this type of recipe was the Pineapple Upside-Down Cake that you might remember from your childhood.
Are Dump Cakes Supposed to be Gooey?
Yes, dump cakes will be gooey, kind of like a brownie because of the filling. It should not, however be runny. If your cake is runny, then it needs to be baked for longer.
Ingredients for Chocolate Dump Cake:
- chocolate cake mix
- instant chocolate pudding
- unsalted butter
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to Make a Chocolate Dump Cake:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Sprinkle the dry cake mix and instant chocolate pudding mix into the bottom of the greased pan.
Add the butter and milk to the pan and lightly mix with a whisk.
Sprinkle the mixture with chocolate chips and M&Ms.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until cooked throughout (it should be gooey, but not runny).
Allow to cool slightly before serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- The cake should be gooey, but not runny.
- You may use dark chocolate baking chips instead of the semi-sweet, if desired.
- You may let this chocolate dump cake sit out overnight, if needed.
Chocolate Dump Cake with Cake Mix, Pudding Mix and M&Ms
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix and instant chocolate pudding mix into the bottom of the greased pan.
- Add the butter and milk to the pan and lightly mix with a whisk.
- Sprinkle the mixture with chocolate chips and M&Ms.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until cooked throughout (it should be gooey, but not runny).
- Allow to cool slightly before serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.